Arbory school opened under the headship of Mr Robert Kewley in 1834 with 43 children on roll from the parish. Robert Kewley held the post for 26 years and long term headships seemed to have been quite common amongst the previous 12 headteachers, with Mr. Crellin clocking up an amazing 28 years of service between 1948 and 1976, Chris Midgley in third place with 25 years (1976-2001) and Mr. Torr with 22 years service (1925-1947).
The present Headteacher’s appointment commenced on 1st January 2011.
Many improvements and alterations to the school have been made over the years. Indoor toilets arrived in the late 1960s, the new wing of the school, including the hall, was built between summer 1975 and January 1977 and a multi purpose room (Shamyr Veg) in 1989. This was built to house the school’s new special education unit. A new mobile classroom arrived in 2000 replacing the previous one which dated from 1980 and the new library and the new library areas was created in 2008.
The new car park was finished in January 2011 and the Special Unit moved to Rushen School in September 2012.
The school crest was designed by Christian Edwards.
For more information about the history of the school, you might like to buy a copy of “Long Live Arbory School” which is available from the School Office priced £9.99